Can't get electron connected by linking sim and no usb serial connection

Hi, I can’t get the electron to activate when I type in the Sim I’d, it stays like it is trying to but never does.

When connected to a raspberry pi via USB running raspbian I can’t get the connection to show up when checking with ls /dev/ttyACM* after installing can-utils … I get the error ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*:. No such file or directory

Did you go through setup.particle.io to create a Particle account and claim the Electron to your account?

Afterwards, you need to flash the socketcan app to the Electron so it can work with can-utils.

I have created an account and tried to go through setup.particle.io but it is stuck after typing in the iccid number and looks like it is trying to connect but never does
I have selected setup a sim card with an electron

I got the Sim activated now. It would not activate on raspberry pi 3b running rasbian using the chromium browser version 15.0.2704.91 or a Nexus 6 with chromium.
I hooked up the USB to a Windows 10 computer with latest version of chrome and had a 1 cell lipo attached through a bread board since I don’t have lipos connectors that fit from the rc toys.
With Windows 10, USB connection to windows 10 laptop, and 1 cell lipo filly charger at 4.2V I got it activated.

I am still getting the same error listed below when connected by USB to a raspberry pi 3b running rasbian. The carloop is not connected to a car just the usb to the computer.

Error I get
when checking with ls /dev/ttyACM* after installing can-utils … I get the error ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*:. No such file or directory

Have you tried to unplug and plug it in again, sometimes mine does that but I’ll unplug and do the command again and it pops up.

I am trying to flash the firmware to the electron 3g by USB but I can’t get my windows 10 computer to even install the right usb driver to see it is connected.

Your Carloop probably doesn’t have the socketcan firmware running on it yet.

Here’s how you can get the socketcan app flashed to your Carloop.

Open the Particle Web IDE to the socketcan app: Particle Web IDE

Click on the Use this example button.

At this point you can choose to flash over USB or through the cellular connection.

To flash through cellular, simply click the lightning bolt icon. It will warn you that it uses some of your monthly data allowance. That’s fine to get started and if you don’t flash too often.

If you want to save data you can flash through USB.

First download the firmware you’ll be flashing by clicking the cloud download button from the Code button in the Web IDE.

Install the Particle command line interface. Here’s the Windows installer link: https://binaries.particle.io/cli/installer/windows/ParticleCLISetup.exe

First put the Electron in device firmware update mode (DFU) by pressing MODE then tapping RESET, and holding MODE until it blinks yellow. Then flash the app you downloaded.

particle flash --usb C:\Users\myuser\Downloads\firmware.bin

Thanks for the reply jvanier but I did not read till after I bought a photon from mouser today since it is just a few minutes from me.
I got the photon physically installed and could not get a Windows 10 computer to register it to get started with chrome, Firefox, or opera. I wonder if it doesn’t like windows 10…
I did get the photon to register with a Nexus 6 and then flashed the firmware on Windows 10 running chrome.
I am a n00b and saw on a YouTube video you need to click the yellow star on what device you want to flash, not sure if that made a difference but it flashed socketcan_serial.cpp
Now I’m trying to figure out why the raspberry pi 3b will not have a serial port named /dev/ttyACM0 when checking with ls /dev/ttyACM*

I did the “sudo apt install can-utils” and it installed
Connected the usb and can’t get /dev/ttyACM* to respond except with error message “ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*: No such file or directory”

If I have to type something in command line when the instructions say “we’ll use the serial line CAN driver (SLCAN)” I have not.

I’m trying to figure out why the raspberry pi 3b will not have a serial port named /dev/ttyACM0 when checking with ls /dev/ttyACM*

I did the “sudo apt install can-utils” and it installed
Connected the usb and can’t get /dev/ttyACM* to respond except with error message “ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*: No such file or directory”

If I have to type something in command line when the instructions say “we’ll use the serial line CAN driver (SLCAN)” I have not.

I’m using a Mac and running a virtual machine both linux and windows. I’ve run into the problem when I run the command ls /dev/ttyACM* and it says “ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*: No such file or directory”
I usually just unplug my device and plug it back in then run the command and it shows up.

I’ve tried the unplug and replug many times and still get nothing. I do not have it connected to obd2 on car when doing it…

it shouldn’t matter If its connected I use mine like that all the time just to make sure connectivity is ok before going to my car. have you tired to connect it to another machine and test like that. maybe a bad driver or another related issue.

I’m wondering if it doesn’t like raspberry pi3b so was thinking about installing Linux on a computer and try

that might be it too, I’m in the process of setting my raspberry pi as well I hope I don’t run into that problem.

I’m very interested if it works for you or not on your raspberry pi.

ill try it out later tonight ill let you know.

I installed Linux on my laptop and determined the usb cable I was using would not make a data connection.
The ls /dev/ttyACM* showed a device folder with another USB cable connected on the laptop!
I’ll check soon to see if the raspberry pi 3b works with a good USB cable.

ahh yea that makes sense! I just ran into that problem with a teensy I couldnt program it and it was the cable.

It works on the raspberry pi 3b with a good cable running ubuntu mate. I’m going to reinstall raspbian