Carloop meetups? Starting with Montreal?

I just received my shiny new Carloop and was wondering if there were other Carloopers in the area. It would be interesting to meet up periodically to exchange in person.

I have no idea of the geographical distribution of all of you… Perhaps one of the founders could comment here based on shipments of the devices?

In any case, I’ll throw the first bottle out into the ocean. I’m in Montreal and would be glad to help organize something. If you’re in the area, drop me a note.

It may be short notice, but if anyone from the Montreal area is reading this in the next few days, there’s already a “Hack and tell” event scheduled for this Wednesday April 12th on the theme of Transport/Travel – ideal for a little show & tell of what you’ve done so far with Carloop! It’s still open to new presenters: https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Hack-and-Tell/

1 Like

@jmb, Good idea!

The founders of carloop appear to be in Silicon Valley, so not close to us.

However, I am in the Ottawa area, so not really that far from you.
I have been working on modifying carloop, which I am nicknaming CarloopRetro, to include K-Line (ISO 9141 & KWP 2000) in addition to the CANbus.

Aside from carlooping, I keep contacts with MCO (Motorsport Club of Ottawa). I suggest you could also look into SMCC (the motorsport club in the Montreal area).

Cheers!

For info, though there was not much to “show & tell” at this point other than a mod of a sample app on the build.particle.io IDE, everyone at the Hack&Tell meetup was quite intrigued by the kit I showed and described. There could be potential for a little community of hackers playing away with this! Do you guys have a special demo rate or some sponsored devices we could request by any chance? It would be interesting to see what creative things would come from having a critical mass of developers nearby tinkering away…

Wow I missed this! I’m Montreal too! Let me know if you want to organize another one!

I am starting myself with Carloop and am from Montreal :slight_smile:

Ah! Sadly I’m not in Montreal anymore, but on the other coast now. Good luck!