I'm working on an app to pull battery status off of the car. This is very useful b/c Chevy has provided a rather lame app for performing this task. I thought it would be helpful to others to share my work and get input from the community on how best to overcome obstacles.
I'm assuming you know how to get going with Particle in Carloop here. You can flash updates by calling
particle flash (device name). Note this will perform an OTA update, you may wish to add
--serial to perform a serial upgrade. I found serial to be a pain since I had to physically plug the USB cable into the device. Eventually, I just put an ATT sim in the device with gigabytes of data allowance.
Speaking of, this code assumes you are using an AT&T sim, so there's some code in there activating that and would need to be removed if you wish to use the Particle sim.
What is working
- Ambient Temperature (this is the most common data sent via the CAN bus and has become my reliability check)
- State of Charge (percentage of battery that is charged, range goes up to ~88% and I'm not sure what the lower limit is yet)
- Fuel Tank Level Input, no idea why I'm looking at this
- Charger voltage (works with the car on or off)
- Charger amperage (works with the car on or off)
What is not working
- State of Charge is very infrequent, often updating only 1-2 per 4hour charging session. The value updates continuously while the car is on. This is true of most of the data.
- My car will report errors while particle is plugged in. I had to unplug Particle this morning to get the car to turn on. Check Engine light will turn on and off due to these errors or the radio/AC may shut off.
- GPS is broken, not sure if it's hardware or software issue
- Higher level functionality is missing. Ideally, the raw data would be processed for more useful functionality like what time will my car be charged. Current (max SOC - current SOC) / charger amp / charger volt would give the time to max charge.
The project is a branch off the extremely helpful starter guide on hackster.io https://www.hackster.io/egarl004/visualize-car-data-with-carloop-and-blynk-49c991 . All credits go to Emerson for getting this far! Also credits to the gm-volt community for collecting PIDs for the car https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HgWCnosdRqZYoWHEl7ylAxjxv4UFVeisWiR7gcr8H6I/edit#gid=0