Feasibility of unlocking honda civic via socketcan

Hi everyone!

I’m using socketcan on my 2017 honda civic, and I’ve managed to get to the point where I can see the output of candump and cansniffer.

My goal is to send a command via cansend to unlock the car. From perusing the forum, I know that honda typically uses B-CAN with 29 bit IDs. However, it’s still unclear to me whether those 29 bit IDs should be readable via cansniffer. When I toggle lock/unlock, I don’t see any new messages pop up in my cansniffer feed. Is this because cansniffer isn’t showing extended messages? If so, is there a way to see these messages without investing in additional hardware?

I’m guessing my path of least resistance might be trying a different car. I’m hoping to demo the unlock mechanism at a hackathon in 2 days.

Any tips and guidance are welcome!! What would you do in my shoes? Find a different car to tinker with? Or how would you advise proceeding with the Honda?

Thanks so much!! I’m very excited to have made it this far, I feel like the end goal is within arm’s reach!
Kim

(Thinking ahead here…)
If you had friends with the following sampling of cars, which one would you anticipate being easiest to tinker around with?
Jeep, Volvo, Toyota Prius, BMW
Given your responses here I’ll weigh my options accordingly/ask the appropriate friends if they’ll allow me a bit of time with their cars :slight_smile:

Hi @kimkim, I would use candump since it supports 29-bit (extended IDs) natively. Also, here are some DBC files for a bunch of different vehicles including a Honda Civic: GitHub - commaai/opendbc: democratize access to car decoder rings