Having trouble getting candump to show meaningfull data

On a 2017 Rav4 and a 2019 Volkswagen Golf, I have not been able to get meaningful candump data. I essentially get no data.

I’m using a virtualbox ubuntu image on a windows 10 pc. I pass through the USB.

I run
sudo apt install can-utils
sudo slcand -o -c -s6 /dev/ttyACM0 can0
sudo ifconfig can0 up txqueuelen 1000
candump can0

The final command simply prints out one message over and over again.

What am I missing?

I’m definitely getting some pid info using the the visualization sample app: Visualize Car Data With Carloop And Blynk - Hackster.io

But I haven’t been able to get onto the can bus and start sniffing and spoofing, as I want to. Shouldn’t the CAN network be on the OBDII port and thus the carloop, or are there deeper electronics that I’m missing?

Hello, in recent car brands there is a gateway that prevents users from connecting to CanBUS via OBD socket. This issue may be caused by this gateway. You could try connecting the car directly over your clusters’ cables. Most of the data you need will be available in the cluster ECU.
You could try requesting data from the car’s ECUs, but since there is a lot of communication between car ECUs you should be able to get some data directly from the car.

You’re definitely correct. I just tested the carloop on an older car and got the expected behavior. I have a 2017 toyota rav4, and I’m interested in bypassing the security gateway. Will look into the clusters’ cables you speak of.