I dont understand what Im missing - Socketcan

My goal is to log and save a bunch of various things before I replace the gas engine with a diesel.

But as seen in the first picture command “a” and “e” is not understood and I see no packets

@Canoob, I have not used can-utils myself, so my help only goes so far.

I took a look at the GitHub repository for can-utils, and I did not see anything to explain the a and e parameters. I am not sure if they are supposed to be values for the colour setting, or if they were meant to be parameters. Could those be the parameters for a different can-utility?
@jvanier, Can you take a look at this please?

Note that cansniffer is for searching for differences in the CAN messages, so you will not see all the messages, just the messages that changed due to some event.

If you want to verify that you are receiving CAN messages and want to see all of them, then candump might be the utility you want.

Take a look at what?

I took another shot at this. To the left are the directions I followed. As seen in the picture when running candump or cansniffer there is no data. Tried this on two different cars with them running. Maybe the Photon is not setup correctly. The last picture shows it’s current flashed app and it is in the “connected” mode when plugging into the OBD2.

attempt

app on the Photon

@Canoob,

The request to take a look was to Julien Vanier (jvanier). However, he is a senior engineer over at Particle and they are introducing the new generation of ParicleMesh. I am guessing he will not have time to take a look at the moment.

Can I suggest trying to simplify things a bit just so we know what is working and what might not be?
I am thinking that if you can try the sample app to read the VIN number, then we know that the basics work.
Once the basics are working, then we can build it up a step at a time to figure out which step is the problem. Trying to do everything at once might be just too overwhelming to be able to isolate what the issue is.

Yes and thank you very much for your time and reply.
I did get the VIN app to work. Device works.
I need to get startup of the vehicle recorded so I can move on to disassembly.

What to try next?

Ok I have put off a very expensive project trying to get this work work first. Im offering $100 paypal for anyone to, via phone, get this up and running with Fileshark on windows or Linux AND Candump, and Cansniffer!!!

Commit here but quicker response email me: Racing4funn@aol.com

Man dude that is the easiest to setup with the carloop they have already provided the necessary sketch. If the vin reader app worked then the sockecan sketch should work fine. I just flashed it last night and have been able to do everything with the carloop from changing instrument cluster milage to enabling/disabling features even sending custom text to the radio and also instrument cluster swap with the carloop. If your not getting any kind of data it might be the wrong baud rate that your setting up the carloop with in canutils. If your still not getting data it you might want to pull up the OBDII pinout of the truck/car your working on the carloop is wired on standard obdii connections sounds like you might be needing a j1939 connector and the carloop wouldn’t work with that and I’m leaning towards that maybe.

cant be the wrong pinout. I got the VIN id to work on two vehicles but not anything to see live can data. You see the setup above and the failed read. In the command line setup it defines baud rate. I need a “baby steps” walk through, video, something :frowning: Im about to buy another product… :frowning:

The VIN read was from from a flashed script and web page but anything from the command line I cant get to work. Im sure its stupid simple but Ive been over it multiple times a day for over a week. Bet I got over 5 hrs invested… :sob:

What car are you working with that would help.
Also what linux distro are you using or is that Mac osx?
try Cantact that works with the socket can sketch out of the box doesn’t need to mod anything cantact-app on Windows and Mac.

linux you just use SocketCan

I use this on my Raspberry Pi3 to setup my carloop. I just type “carloop” into the commdline and it does the rest and type “down” to shut down the carloop. you can mod it for your needs.

#!/bin/bash
set -e
echo "
#!/bin/bash
set -e 
sudo slcand -o -c -s6 /dev/ttyACM*  can0 
sudo ip link set can0 up txqueuelen 9000 
sudo ip link set can0 type can 
sudo ip link set can0 up
sudo ifconfig can0
sleep 1
clear
echo -e "carloop ready"" > /usr/bin/carloop
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/carloop
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/carloop
echo "#!/bin/bash
set -e 
sudo ifconfig can0 down
echo "can0 shutdown Gracefully "" > /usr/bin/down
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/down
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/down
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get install can-utils

Using Mint 18.1… Ive tried to read a Chrysler Town& Country 2011 and a 2012 Dodge Ram. I will be WORKING on a 2015 Yukon.

Ive also tried Raspbian on a Pi and windows 10

I will play with your script. Ive already ordered a CSS Electrics CL1000
It would be nice to get the Carloop working. Sad to have wasted my money and 8 times that in time.
The $100 offer is off the table… Ive moved on.

Lol good luck didn’t want the offer was just trying to help you out. And chrylser is my area too have my carloop working on a 2014 Dodge Charger. And can change the milage in 2015+ Dodge Charger instrument clusters using a carloop :metal:t4: So it’s very capable just got to know what your doing.

I understand and thank you very much for your time and effort. This place is dead with pretty much zero support… Thanks again!!!