Newbie, totally lost

I am sincerely hoping somebody here can help me. This is not my skill set.

I know very little about CAN data or how to read it. I have a pretty cool project going on though. I’ve built the worlds first range extending trailer for my EV. I’ve been in multiple publications but I also have a YouTube channel. For more info you can go to YouTube.com/Jimbo69ny

Someone sympathetic to my project suggested I go with Carloop to display the CAN data from my battery packs to my cell phone. So I purchased two carloop bluetooth units. He set everything up for me. I even gave him remote access to my computer and we set it up on my computer while speaking on the phone. He was very helpful.

Everything was going fine until I bought a new iPhone xs. I think it has something to do with the change in IP address. Unfortunately I don’t have access to my battery data anymore. I am taking road trips and not knowing how much energy I have left in my battery packs. The person who originally helped me has disappeared. He’s not responding to phone calls, text messages, or emails. I have no idea how to correct this problem. I am sincerely hoping somebody here can help me. I have $110 in paperweights that arent very heavy.

With the help of another member here we made some progress late last night.

We think the issue is with the A2 security on the new iphone xs hotspot. I can get the Carloop to connect to my wifi at home and to my tablets hot spot, but not my phone which is where I need it.

Any help would be wonderful! I also posted over on Particle. Here is the link there for all the details.
https://community.particle.io/t/photon-wont-connect-to-a2-security-on-new-iphone-xs-ideas/45862

@jimbo69ny,

I am not sure exactly what the issue is; it could be many different things.
I assume you used to have another phone before you got the new iPhone?
EDIT: From your other post, we now know that you replaced your old phone with the new iPhone.

Based on the information from your other post, your Carloop probably needs new WiFi credentials added to connect to your iPhone’s hotspot.
EDIT: Now we know from your other post that your Carloop uses a Photon as its microprocessor.
I suggest heading on over to particle.io for more information on adding the iPhone WiFi credentials to your Photon.
There are several ways of doing this, so the method is your choice.
Make sure you do not wipe out the existing WiFi credentials used to log into your computer and tablet…

Do you still have access to your old cell phone? It could be that some custom .html or .php files were installed on your old phone. If that is the case (I am assuming), you will need to copy those files over to your new phone.

Are you able to login to particle.io on your new phone? I have no idea if this is needed for your use case or not, but it is one more thing to check while I am taking guesses.

EDIT: This last case is extremely remote; do not bother trying this until the other options are exhausted. One last possibility that I can think of at the moment, is that the firmware installed on the microprocessor of your Carloop has something specifically built-in to log in to your old phone. You may have to update the firmware and re-install. Do you still have the source code written for your Carloop?

Hope these ideas help.

PS. Create yourself a mini manual on each step as you sort this out. It may help you or another partner in the future!

What?! In my very first post, here on this forum, I said that I purchased a new cell phone …

You keep talking about my other posts but I am new here and all the information is right here. I don’t have a plethora of posts anywhere hiding information for you.

It seems to be an A2 security issue with the new iPhone xs. Anyone with experience with it is welcomed to chime in.

Sorry, but it is confusing when it is spread between different threads.

You are correct that the information is here and it is not hidden.
However, your second post appeared on the forum and was answered BEFORE your first post appeared on the forum.

Both here on the Carloop forum and on the Particle forum, be sure to indicate exactly what you have tried and what is not working. People generally can better help when they have enough detail, or that they are aware that my ideas did not work. Please be as specific as possible.

Why do you keep saying that my problem was answered??? Nothing has been answered. Its your own posts that you are referring to and calling them the “answer”. So far you have responded, that is true, but your responses weren’t an “answer” because the problem isnt solved.

I know I am new here but I feel like you are really making my posts a confusing mess. I asked a question about a problem that still exists. In all of your posts, nothing has been “answered” just made more confusing.

@jimbo69ny,

In terms of use of the word “answer”, it was in terms of answering your second post before your first post.
There was never any mention of answering your problem, otherwise known as a solution.
That answer to your post was a set of questions to you which were asking for specific detail.
I am not here to argue, so let’s please focus on the problem.

Please realize that I am remote and I cannot see what you see.
I need your eyes and then your words to describe what is happening.

I agree things are confusing. I modified my response to your second post based on information that I found from your first post and from community.particle.io, which I discovered only after my initial response.

Please provide some more technical detail, such as which method you used to update the WiFi credentials?
At this point, maybe a screen capture might be easier than words…

“Please provide some more technical detail, such as which method you used to update the WiFi credentials?”

Ive already answered that question in the two other threads.

Since this is an issue with connecting the Particle Photon to an iPhone XS mobile hotspot let’s move the conversation to the Particle forum.