Not transmitting CAN messages [SOLVED]

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 in my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock with a PiCAN2 Hat spliced in the CAN behind the radio and it’s working fine. The RPi3 is acting as a wireless hotspot and a webserver in addition to a few other things. So that I can connect my phone to the Pi and pull up a webpage I made to and click a link to read/write to/from the CAN bus. I can read the status of the doors, control the windshield wipers, blinkers, etc.

I purchased Carloop with the RedBear Duo from MassDrop. I’ve added the ReadBear to my particle account and flashed the “minimal transmit” sketch. I can run cansniffer on the Pi3 and never see the Carloop transmit anything to CAN. I initially thought it was something with the RedBear, so I swapped it out with a Photon soldered to the battery shield I use for testing. Same issue! Whatever I transmit never comes across.

I thought maybe the Pi3 is interfering with the Carloop? I changed the code on the minimal transmit sketch to control the left blinker, so that I could disconnect the Pi3 and have a visual indication. I know that CAN message works because I am able to use it on the Pi3, but nothing happened.

I have been playing with CAN for a while with the Pi3, I work on PLCs for a living, I have a programming background, but I don’t understand what I’m missing… I read through the getting started section, and the rest of the community, seems pretty straight forward. Any thoughts?

a few questions:
when you connect Carloop Bluetooth to the OBD-II port, is the RPI with PICAN connected to the same CAN bus? In other words, when you send CAN messages (turn signal on/off) from the RPI, can you read them with Carloop Bluetooth?

I found a guide that says the CAN bus I’m tapping into behind the headunit is the IHS, and that the one on the OBD port is infact a different CAN.

I was aware that there are different CAN buses in the same vehicle, but I remember seeing another guide that made it seem like you could use the OBD port if you didn’t want to pull your radio, so I assumed they were the same.

Looks like I’ll be setting up the Carloop as a second reader on the Pi and seeing what I can get from this CAN bus until I figure out what to use it for.

Glad that got sorted out! I marked this as solved.

If you are adventurous, you could try a test by replacing the RPi with the Carloop on the IHS CANbus. It should be do-able and would show just how capable the Carloop is! That said, you might need more than just the “minimal transmit” sketch.

That’s exactly what I need to do.