UART RX was disabled

Hardware: Electron with Carloop GPS/CAN
Particle OS: 1.2.1rc2

I have a very basic test app that enables GPS and spews its output to serial. However, I am seeing repeated frame errors in the output, like in the following:

$GNRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*4D
$GNVTG,,,,,,,,,N*2E
$GNGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*56
$GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GLGSV,1,1,00*65
$GNGLL,,,,,,V,N*7A
$GNTXT,01,01,01,More than 100 frame errors, UART RX was disabled*70
$GNRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*4D
$GNVTG,,,,,,,,,N*2E
$GNGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*56

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known issue? Does this impact behavior/performance? I’m also not able to ever get a GPS fix — I’ve even tried letting it run outside for a couple of hours with no luck.

Thanks,
Jason

I probably wasn’t clear enough here — by “basic test app”, I took the “carloop_minimal” example that comes with the Carloop library and stripped out everything but the GPS-related stuff. It enables GPS, opens the Serial1 port, and reads from Serial1/echoes to Serial.

This is what produces the output above, with the frame errors, and it never gets a fix.

I’ve been playing around with a different library (UbloxM8Q_GPS) that does a bit more configuration by sending a series of UBX messages to the receiver on startup. With it, I’m able to get a fix in around ten minutes or so outdoors with a clear view of the sky.

Revisiting my original question, it seems like simply enabling GPS and then reading from it isn’t enough configuration to get the receiver to work.

Jason