Vin change on 2017 Dodge Ram

I am working on a PCM swap for my 2017 Dodge Ram 6.7. I am trying to write a new VIN using an OBDLINK MX ELM327 and the console feature of OBDWIZ. I am able to call the VIN, and use basic commands, but I don’t know how to physically write my new VIN. Can anyone suggest a starting point?

@Jayboxer,

I assume it is the same in most other places, but in Canada it is illegal to modify a VIN number or to modify an odometer.
Switching units from one vehicle to another is not allowed.

As a result, it is not known if Dodge allows a way to do it.

Based on my experience with a 2015 RAM, I expect the ECU would have to be sent back to the factory and even dealers could not do it.

Hi there, and thank you for responding. I am certain that what I am doing is not illegal. I just took an old PCM out of a junkyard and put it in my truck. The mismatched VIN number is causing problems with my truck. Many places I’ve contacted say they can program the VIN in older models using standard tools, but no one has the newer tools to program this one yet. You are correct in that the dealer would not do it. They would only do it on a new PCM if I were to purchase one from them. But this would not be considered modifying the VIN, but simply matching a replacement part. It is done quite often, but no one has the ability to do mine. So I wanted to attempt to hack it.

maybe start with getting a carloop, and asking in the OBDlink forums.

as far as vin programming yes it can be done using the carloop easily.
looks like you might need a seed/key algo to get it done if thats the same post I seen on the net

Hey Dubb45-Would you happen to know what a carloop would bring to the table that would be different from my ELM327? Is that something like an Arduino?