What features would you request for Carloop 3.0?

There might be something in the works (in the next 2 months) that you will really really like in that case!

2 Likes

awwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhh… apparently I needed 20 characters to respond

i would love to see elm327 support to read data from vehicles with older protocols

1 Like

I think 3.0 should feature a j2534 or “layer one” pass thru device. J2534 was intended to unify access to embedded protocols:

ISO9141
ISO14230 (KWP2000)
J1850
CAN (ISO11898)
ISO15765
SAE J2610
J1939 (since 2005)

Some resource info:

@SinusoidDelta, I took a list at all the protocols you listed, and it is all possible. However, the Carloop hardware has to be able to work for all the hardware protocols. The rest are communications protocols running on top of that hardware. Any communication protocol can be coded into the firmware as long as you have the right hardware underneath.

In your list, there are only 4 hardware protocols.

1. CANbus, which is already done by Carloop
  2. K-Line (the hardware layer for ISO9141, KWP & KWP2000), which I am working on a CarloopRetro to do this; a schematic is already on GitHub. However, I am only managing 30 minutes a month (I do not work for Carloop), so it will be a long time coming.
  3. Off-Road
  4. Heavy machinery

@elhajj33, you can code firmware to emulate the elm327 on CANbus for Carloop. As mentioned above, you need to have the hardware layer to be able to emulate the elm327 on other protocols. However, once you have the hardware, you can code firmware to do whatever you want, which could be much more than the limited functions of elm327. Don’t get me wrong, elm327 emulation is something I would love to see as it is extremely useful, but Carloop allows for much more than that.

Is there any ETA for the new Carloop 3.0?

I am waiting for it coming out for my new Car Tracking Project for school.

I would love to see GPS+SD Card slot on the board, as I am still debating whether use the official supported particle board or go with STM32

Thanks,

I’m a little late to the game but thought I’d post my thoughts anyway. SD and GPS are definitely tops on the list that I would like to see. One problem I expect living where I do in northern NJ is to have no WiFi or Cellular Access in many areas. The ability data-log to an SD card and Upload the data to a Rest Service when connectivity is available is a must. The ability to add a 9DOF sensor for additional telemetry data would be great. Having 9DOF built right in would be even better

@JerseyTechGuy, You are never too late to the game. There is a new GPS that plugs in on top of the Carloop or with a JST cable. The GPS circuit board happens to also have a microSD card slot. That should already cover a lot of what you are looking for.

For 9DOF sensors or an integrated IMU, I would recommend doing some careful research first before selecting one for the purpose of car telemetry. Check out this thread for some of the limitations you might come up against (I have the example sensor on hand; I might be looking for a replacement):

Smart home connection with MQTT or similar to get in home automation like fibaro home central or similar. ex. put on heating system or charger if car is cold or get low battery. open garage door when car is close to home. warn if car is outside a dedicated area or drive to fast (kids loan the car)

@IBICO,

All the things you listed are functions that Carloop can help you accomplish. However, this thread is about what you would change with the Carloop itself… is there anything you would change in the Carloop itself to help in your projects?

With a Photon, you can do MQTT today. No extra hardware required. Check out the MQTT library in the Particle online IDE.