Carloop with 3rd party SIM

Particle sims won’t work in my area. So I use 3rd party sim and what interesting is it requires some sort of ping to keep cellular and Particle cloud connected. This loops updates once every 40 secs. I tried putting the Electron on the Carloop without publishing any data, it’s still very hot.

I moved your post to a different topic since you’re talking about the 3rd party SIM. We can keep discussing the heat issue in the original topic.

Are you saying there is a pause of 40 seconds between each call of the loop() function?

I call keep_alive() in the void loop (40 sec). Still getting a lot of heat just like publishing once a second.

P.S I feel like discussing another big heat coming out of Tiny GPS G735T connected to Carloop and Electron - Not to the OBD port - Just sitting not the table. Should it be on other thread?

long interval = 40000;

void keep_alive()
{
 long currentMillis = millis();

if(currentMillis - previousMillis > interval) {

previousMillis = currentMillis;

if (Particle.connected())
     {
         Particle.publish("CONNECTION"," Connected");
     }

analogvalue = analogRead(photoresistor);
    Particle.publish("LIGHT", "Lights:" + String::format("%.2f", analogvalue), 60, PRIVATE);

}
}

If you want to send a quick ping to the server every 40 seconds, you can use Particle.keepAlive(40); starting with system firmware 0.5.0. The Particle SIM only needs a ping every 23 minutes. You can play around with different numbers to see what works best for you.

1 Like

I can confirm that the Electron with Particle.keepAlive(45); with Carloop-minimal sketch (no gps unit connected) does produce an unbearable heat on the Carloop unit.

At this point it looks like the power supply circuit will need to be modified in a future board revision.

In the meantime, what would you suggest those of us who own current board version?

We have come up with a workaround for the current Rev 2.2 boards. See here: [SOLVED] Excessive Heat? - Troubleshooting - Carloop Community